Aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, brothers, and me
The air filled with the smell of meat cooking on a fire
And the tables filled with a sea of drinks
Talking, laughing, eating, drinking and playing
All of us a family.
Dad's drinking, moms nagging, cousins teasing
And me soaking it all in like a sponge
Night, the sky laced with stars as the party lives on
Me, looking at the hundreds if not thousands of stars
I sit up, looking sadly at the dark road
Then out of the blue, she appears next to me
Dressed in black, black as the night sky
But her smile, bright and lovely as the full moon above us
I take her hand, and run to a plain of grass
We lay on the field as fireworks go off
Flowers of neon blue, red, green, and yellow explode overhead
As I hold her hand and give one last kiss.
Morning, as I pack up my room my eyes begins to drop tears
Leaving my family and her to go back to America
To go back to the country where I live, rather staying in the country where I belong
As I load the luggage into the van she came back.
Only with something to give: a necklace,
And one simple task: to remember her.
As we depart I felt empty, as if a part of me was stuck in Cambodia

No comments:
Post a Comment